Officially spilling the beans about my big plans for life as a nomadic traveler

I’ve been hinting at my big announcement for far too long, and honestly, most of my close cohorts already have a strong inkling for what I’m about to declare – what can I say, I have trouble keeping my mouth shut when I’m really excited. You may already know what I’m going to say, but here it is officially:

By the end of 2012, I’m selling everything, packing my bags,
and I’m going to spend 2013 entirely on the road.

Farewell collections of hoarded cleaning and craft supplies. It’ll be into the donation bin for the majority of my overflowing wardrobe. Books, journals, and small boxes filled with travel keepsakes will be stowed away in my childhood room – and anything else that doesn’t fit practically into my new nomadic lifestyle will be sacrificed to the dumpster gods.

Because let’s face it – living like this…
 Officially spilling the beans about my big plans for life as a nomadic traveler Officially spilling the beans about my big plans for life as a nomadic traveler…is totally worth is when you wake up in places like these…
 Officially spilling the beans about my big plans for life as a nomadic traveler Officially spilling the beans about my big plans for life as a nomadic traveler…and spend your days doing this:

So what does this mean for my readers? In addition to the usual mix of local outdoor adventures, climbing trips, and travel exploits, you’ll get to experience the process of planning this yearlong journey with me – which means heaps of budgeting advice, trip planning tips, and peeks at the places I’m dying to visit most.

I hope you’re all feeling as stoked on this new venture as I am, and I can’t wait to take you along for the ride.

Comments

you go girl! très happy for you! though that last photo made me tinkle a little (i HATE heights).

in the words of my favourite movie quote: “life is like the surf, so give yourself away like the sea…”

enjoy the lead-up! work it out.

aldy ;)

• says

I enjoy the hint of looming misadventure in your well wishes! I can’t wait to see how it all plays out either, both the good and the not-so-great aspects of this journey.

• says

Thanks David, it’s going to be a great year of planning and setting off on the usual adventures. I’m already getting impatient with this whole waiting-a-year-to-take-off situation – I want to set out now!

2. Jennelle says

I’m very excited for you. This will be a huge accomplishment in your life…. Just remember before you can go anywhere you must celebrate 3 kings day with Zara… I mean you could always take her climbing lol

Hi Katie,

I found your blog to be very well done and I linked to your latest post on my blog with the “Press This” button.

Only it occurred to me afterward that perhaps I should ask your permission as it appears on my blog…

Thanks,

Jp

• says

After three cross-country trips in the past two years, I think I’ve got a pretty good grasp on all the places I want to visit – which is EVERYWHERE in the country, basically. I’m looking forward to not having time constraints, so I can enjoy a slower pace of travel this time and really absorb every destination. The Pacific Northwest is a top region for me!

Awesome! Love the Northwest of the country. Big beautiful trees, awesome hikes, wonderful air. Something incredible everyday. Enjoy your time. Can’t wait to see where your travels take you!

5. Nick says

Nice! Though since you’ve traveled extensively in the US already, and have a year to play with, why not think further afield? I’m planning a roadtrip through South America for 2013. Its cheap, got loads of great climbing and is something you won’t ever forget!

• says

We’re actually looking into adding Canada and Mexico to our itinerary! I’ll have to connect with you when we start planning our dip into the southern bits of North America.

Trackbacks